- Bowie, Jennifer Barnes, Donald R. Songer, and John Szmer. 2014. The View from the Bench and Chambers: Examining Judicial Process and Decision Making on the U.S. Courts of Appeals. UVA Press Consititutionalism & Democracy series.
- Szmer, John, Robert K. Christensen, and Erin B. Kaheny. Forthcoming. "Gender, Race, and Dissensus on State Supreme Courts." Social Science Quarterly.
- Szmer, John and Martha Humphries Ginn. 2014. 'Examining the Effects of Information, Attorney Capability, and Amicus Participation on U.S. Supreme Court Decision Making." American Politics Research 42(3): 441-71.
- Szmer, John, Erin B. Kaheny, Tammy A. Sarver, and Mason DeCamillis. 2013. “The Impact of Attorney Gender on Decision Making in the United States Courts of Appeals.” Journal of Women, Politics & Policy 34(1): 72-100.
- Christensen, Robert K., John Szmer, and Justin Stritch. 2012. “Race and Gender Bias in Three Administrative Contexts: Impact on Work Assignments in State Supreme Courts." Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 22(4): 625-48.
- Szmer, John, Robert K. Christensen, and Ashlyn Kuersten. 2012.“The Efficiency of Federal Appellate Decisions: An Examination of the Population of Published and Unpublished Decisions from 1976-1997.” Justice System Journal 33(3): 318-38.
- Christensen, Robert K. and John Szmer. 2012. "Examining the Efficiency of the U.S. Courts of Appeals: Pathologies and Prescriptions." International Review of Law and Economics 32(1): 30-37.
- Songer, Donald R., John Szmer, and Susan W. Johnson. 2011. "Explaining Dissent on the Supreme Court of Canada." Canadian Journal of Political Science 44(2): 389-409.
- Kaheny, Erin B., John Szmer, and Tammy A. Sarver. 2011. “Women Lawyers before the Supreme Court of Canada.” Canadian Journal of Political Science 44(1): 83-109.
- Szmer, John, Erin B. Kaheny and Tammy A. Sarver. 2010. “Have We Come a Long Way, Baby?: The Influence of Attorney Gender on Supreme Court Decision Making." Politics and Gender 6(1): 1-36.
- Sarver, Tammy A., Erin. B. Kaheny, and John Szmer. 2008. “The Attorney Gender Gap in U.S. Supreme Court Litigation.” Judicature 91(5):238-250.
- Szmer, John, Susan W. Johnson, and Tammy A. Sarver. 2007. “Does the Lawyer Matter? Influencing Outcomes on the Supreme Court of Canada.” Law and Society Review 42(2):279-304.
- Szmer, John and Donald R. Songer. 2005. "The Effects of Information on the Accuracy of Presidential Assessments of Supreme Court Nominee Preferences." Political Research Quarterly 58(1): 151-160.
- Judicial Behavior
- Constitutional Law
- Gender and Law
- Quantitative Methods
- American Politics
- Political Science Research Methods
- Judicial Process
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties
- Gender and Law
- Quantitative Methods I (Public Policy Ph.D.)
- Categorical Data Analysis (Public Policy Ph.D.)